Thursday, 12 December 2013

Diary Teng

Diary Teng

See The Brief
I believe it is a good project and yet a very relevant one, due to the massive and yet ever-expanding corporation of advertisement, meaning I and the whole class will earn some vital beneficial experience and knowledge through this unit.

Nature and Purposes of Research
In order to further expand our knowledge of adverts and charitable adverts it would be wise to research and view a fairly large collection of adverts so in turn this is what we did, we watched many different adverts and discovered trends and anomalies between these adverts which helped us distinguish what made these adverts professional yet stand out above and beyond a crowd. We also did group tasks such as the involvement of making an A3 presentation of MIND and presenting it in front of the class and viewing other peoples presentations this done so we can benefit of each others new-found knowledge of the MIND charity.


Meeting With MIND (people and client)
In the focus group we discussed specific mental health issues that the charity deals with directly, we also discussed different ways in which they approach and help people deal with these issues. e.g Art Classes, Creative Writing, Music Making. This research was very helpful in aiding the way I created my idea, due to ways in which I could incorporate some creative writing dialogue etc. into my video.
We spoke to both John Swallow and his colleague and they both anonymously talked about specific cases they have had and in turn how they helped solve them, however they both believed that the best way to help them was to help them understand how they can help themselves. My perception before the focus group was positive but fairly sceptical however during the focus group when I learnt of the purity of their solutions and how they executed them so finely it helped eliminate any scepticism.

Ideas Generation and Development
For this task we had to create 3 ideas, create a scene-by-scene for our best idea and then create a rational for the best idea we picked.
The process of generating the 3 ideas was fairly easy as it wasn't that in-depth however much thought had to be put into each one, then came the scene-by-scene which was harder due to the way we had visualise how our idea would be filmed and how it would pan out. Next was the rational which was slightly harder seen as we had to provide different reasons in which why we created that idea and picked it as the best one, however it wasn't an essay's worth so it was OK.

Treatment
For the Treatment task we had to create a detailed breakdown of the idea that was straight to the point, so we had to think about the different shots in which we were going to use in our idea etc. However, it was vital that we broke our idea down into a treatment as during the pitch our client and audience wouldn't have much time to analyse our idea, therefore if we give them a breakdown with everything included they would be better informed upon my idea once I'm giving my pitch so this would benefit me by the clint having more information of my idea and them not feeling ill-informed by the end of my pitch.

Pitch to Client
The preparation  involved in getting my pitch ready consisted of getting the actual powerpoint perfectly done, flash cards (to help me spit my words out), the treatment, and very vigorous rehearsing.
I believe my pitch went fairly well due to the client liking my idea and focusing upon a very 'niche' market of people suffering from mental health problems. However, I believe I could improve upon my pitch massively by putting the extra little effort to get the extra documents such as (Storyboard, shot list etc.) so the client would know I was completely prepared and ready to shoot at the second I had walked into the room.

Put into Teams
On this day we were put into our filming teams. There are two people including myself within my team, therefore we are short on people for the roles however it is a fairly simple advert making it easier for someone to play two roles consequently leading to the director taking up the role of production manager as well, leaving me with the job of being camera operator as a result of this the skills required of me can be ranged from my knowledge of different shots to the practical knowledge of knowing how to set a custom white balance etc. To be prepared for the shoot I will need to learn thoroughly the whole story of the shoot and each shot that is desired by the director so I can be ready to shoot each one on the day. In order to work proffesionally and for everything to run smoothly on the day I need to make sure that both me and my other teammates have the exact same understanding of how the day of the shoot is going to be set out.

Pre-Production
The pre-production being the most important section of the video production, meant that most time will and was spent upon ironing out everything to make sure it was perfect and we were ready for our shoot. Pre-Production started with our first proper team meeting and involved assigning which person within the team would make which pre-production document. This lead to and involved me making professional-grade documents including… Location RECCE, Resources List, Risk Assessment, Filming Schedule plus extras such as props.

Production
Our filming schedule estimated us completing all of our shots in the one day we originally set out to film, therefore we had to be very efficient with our time, this said, we had from 9:00am to 10:00am to set up our equipment and make sure everything was perfect on set, which by this time it was. At 10:00am our actor arrived in which we made ourselves familiar with each other and gave the actor a copy of both the shot list and script and answered any of his questions to make sure he was on the same level of understanding as us. In which at approximately 10:30am we started our filming. I filming went consistently well as we had hoped all the way through up until approx. 3:00pm where we called an end to our production after finishing both the video and finally audio. We then logged and captured both our audio and video rather quickly, with a brief review of some of the clips and with a confirmed nod to express the positive quality of the clips we called an end to our production date at approximately 4:30pm. My role on the filming day was camera operator which involved me filming each of the shots with each of the techniques noted on the shot list, with the directors input over my shoulder which was reassuring and helpful. However, some challenges we faced involved the lack of original shots we had hence why we shot more and expanded and created a larger variety of our shots further leading to a decent collection of shots.

Post-Production 
Post-Production involved a more thorough and detailed review of each of the clips and the decision of which clips were the best for the named/numbered shots. We both agreed as a team decision that the filming went as we had hoped and intended therefore giving us some closure upon the subject in which all our energy can now be focused towards post-production. Every shot was included within our filming plus added extras which helped create a better looking advert with a wider range of shots. Using Final Cut Pro to make this advert was also a massive experience as it helped further improve the skills I needed to make a professional looking advert, also what was useful is learning how to keep an advert at 30-40 seconds which was originally a struggle.

Evaluation

Individual Work -  Overall, throughout all the individual work I did such as the pre-production paperwork, I believe I performed well and used my time efficiently to an extent. This is due to the amount of pre-production documents I completed in the short time, however I believe this was to an extent due to my influence to get distracted easily. Despite that said I also believe that the quality of my pre-production work was up to a professional quality therefore completed fully with all documents printed neatly. Finally, on the topic of pre-production work I even proceeded to create a prop for the shoot due to completing all the pre-production documents I possibly could with an absent director. In the future I think I could make the extra-precaution and be aware at all times in order to not get distracted so that my work can be done with full time-effiency without reducing the quality of the work.

Team Work -  Overall, throughout all of my team work such as, the actual production days, I worked at a steady pace with both the director and the actor in order to get our original shots filmed at the same time as getting a variety of unplanned shots to expand the choice I had when making the video. As previously stated we gave the actor approximately 10 minutes to get into character/understand the concept a bit more, showing that we not only worried about the task in hand but also considered our fellow crew mates own possible worries. On the other hand, we encountered some problems such as the occasional off topic discussion or laugh which could slowly develop into heavy debate however we soon eliminated that by reminding ourselves or stopping ourselves from bringing anything off-topic up, and as soon as we did I believe everything flowed together perfectly and went absolutely smoothly in order for us to film all our shots in a single day.

Pre-Production - At the start of my pre-production I carried out some extensive research using/conducting both primary and secondary research. I did this through a variety of methods, this includes the use of the internet to uncover information about the "Mind" Organisation, we then would use this information to create an A3 sheet's worth of knowledge about the Charity. We would then share this information with the class so both us and the rest of the class can benefit from each other. Once we did this we then proceeded to earn some primary research through going on a field trip visiting Mind Rochdale.
I believe that overall the research segment of the pre-production went really well as everything was very beneficial and worked in my favour. We researched the Mind Charity on the internet in order to get a base layer of knowledge on the charity, this worked well as independent research is what I think I perform best in. On the other hand, the next step of creating the A3 sheet in pairs I believe went better than expected as well, this is because we created a catchy looking sheet but at the same time provided vital and extensive knowledge to the class through presenting our sheet, in addition I also gained detailed information I'm glad I leant from other people as I hadn't included it myself. Then the field trip I believe went extremely well as it was an entertaining way of sensibly learning detailed knowledge of the charity and the services they provide


No comments:

Post a Comment